Potato stew (Kerala style)
Posted July 30, 2009on:
This recipe I had learned from my mother-in-law and its very simple.
potatoes-2 medium (chopped medium size)
onion- 1 medium (chopped small square pieces)
green chilly- 6 (slit in the middle)
garlic- 4-cloves (chop small)
oil – 1 tbsp
salt- 1 tsp
coconut powder- 2 tblsp heap
curry leaves- 1 strand
– heat oil in a pan
– add garlic to the pan and stir for a few sec.
– add chopped potatoes, onions and green chilly to the pan
– add 1/2 tsp salt and keep stirring the veggies for 2 min
– then add 1 cup water and let it boil
– add another 1/2 tsp salt
– once water starts boiling, simmer the flame and close the pan and let the potato cook
– should take around 15- 20 min to cook. potatoes will smash easily
– now add coconut powder and keep mixing
– now if u require more gravy add another 1/2 cup water
– add the curry leaves and let it stay on flame for another couple of minutes
– You can also make this stew in a pressure cooker
– instead of pan use a pressure cooker and cook it for 3 -whistles
– once steam goes, add coconut powder and curry leaves and heat it.
note :- with bread and idiyappam u may require more gravy and with chapathi or appam less gravy is preferred.