vanpayar(red-cow peas) – chow chow(cherote squash) masala curry
Posted July 30, 2009on:
Our land lady’s maid was kind enough to share a few chow chow with us. I had seen the vegetable in market but never dared to buy it as I didn’t know how to prepare it. The maid explained to me in Hindi that it needs to be cooked exactly like a potato, peel it and cook it with any other veggies or non-veg items.
Now that’s something interesting.
Ram didn’t like the smell of chow chow🙂. I prepared a dish of chow-chow with vanpayar/red-cow peas and it came out well and Ram too liked it.
Here’s my recipe:
vanpayar – 1/2 cup (soak overnight)
chow chow – 1
green chilly – 3
chilly powder – 1 tsp
garam masala – 3/4 tsp
coriander -1 tsp
tumeric -1/2 tsp
cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
cloves – 3
cinnamon – small piece
oil- 1 tbsp
– cook vanpayar in a cooker around 5-6 whistles
– meanwhile heat oil in a pan
– add mustard seeds
– once mustard splutter add cloves and cinnamon
– add chopped chow chow and chilly
– mix well with salt
– close and let it cook for 15 min
– add all the masalas and mix properly
– then add the cooked vanapayar with water
– add curry leaves and let is stay on a low flame for around 10 min.