Malabar Veg Biriyani
Posted August 13, 2009on:
This recipe I learnt from my mom, who actually learned from a good friend of hers.
For rice layer:
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
ghee – 3 tbsp
cloves- 3 nos
cinnamon – small piece
– soak rice for 15 min
– heat ghee in a non-stick vessel
– add cloves and cinnamon and stir for a few sec
– then add drained rice
– stir for a couple of minutes
– add 4 cups water and salt as per taste.
– let rice cook for 15-20 min, till the water is completely absorbed.
For Vegetable layer:
potatoes- 2 medium sized
carrot – 2 medium sized
beans – 10-12 pieces
onion – 6 medium sized(chopped length wise)
garlic – 6 cloves
ginger – 1 inch piece
green chilly- 5-6 nos
coriander leaves – 1 bunch
mint leaves – 1 bunch
oil – 4 tbsp
– cut all vegetables as small cubes.
– heat oil in pan
– add onions and cook till it turns dark brown on a low flame. This will take some time so be patient, its important it turns dark brown
– make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chilly
– chop finely mint leaves and coriander leaves. The leaves actually gives the biriyani aroma and fine taste, so dont skip this ingredient.
– once onion is dark brown add ginger garlic paste to it
– cook for couple of min till the raw smell goes
– add chopped leaves and mix well
– now add all veggies and mix properly and add salt
– close and let it cook for 15 min or till veggies are tender
Now we need to steam the cooked rice and veggies arranged in layers in a vessel.
– now take a bigger vessel and apply ghee all over the vessel
– divide rice in 2 parts
– place one part of rice in the vessel, spread throughout
– layer the rice with veggies cooked
– next layer the veggies with rice
– now add yellow and red food color
– also can garnish with fried cashews, raisins and fried onions as per your choice
– close it and let it steam for 5 min. We need steam to pass from bottom to top of the vessel, so once u see steam coming from the top layer of rice, your biriyani is ready
– if you only have a smaller vessel then u can make more layers.
Biriyani is normally served with raita, pickle and papad 🙂 enjoy!!