Oat Bran Cake
Posted September 15, 2010on:
Thanks a ton to Madhuram’s eggless cooking
Wonderful cake ideas.. we have started devouirng vegan cake now 🙂
I have tried many recipes of her with a twist though. Having all the required ingredients at a time has always been a problem for me. I dont cook preplanned, it has always been on the fly. So I do mix and match of her recipes.
Oat bran cake one of my favorites, its healthy and I dont feel guilty eating cakes anymore 🙂
All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
Oat Bran – 1 cup
Baking Soda – 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder – 1 and 1/4 teaspoon
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Brown Sugar(light brown) – 1 cup
Carrot – 1 medium size grated
Apple – 2 medium size grated
Raisins – 1/2 cup
Coco powder – 3 tsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Yoghurt – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
– sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda.
– mix oat bran, sugar and cocoa powder with it. (I use wooden spatula for mixing purpose)
– add milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract and fold in.
– make sure all the ingredients have mixed well.
– then add grated carrots, apples and raisins and fold in.
– now grease a microwave dish, use butter or oil
– pour the mixtureto 1/4 level of the dish height
– I sprinkled sliced almonds on top for garnish
– bake in microwave
– my dish was small, so I had to bake this in 2 parts. It took me 8-10 minutes on medium high for one batch.
– keep a watch on ur cake. Let it rise and then test it with toothpick. toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the centre
- I have noticed in Madurams recipes she replaces flour/maida with whole wheat flour/aata, wheat germ etc . I have tried all in this ratio :-
– whole wheat flour -3/4 cup and all purpose flour – 1/4 cup
– wheat germ – 1/3 cup and all purpose flour – 2/3 cup
- I used sunflower cooking oil.
- Fold in means, make a complete circle with the wooden spatula and then draw a line from 12’0′ clk to 6’0’clk. Dont have to mix too much as airpockets keep coming and ur cake may have lot of pores.
- The cake tends to be like biscuit if kept for long in microwave. so make sure u stay put near ur microwave till its done.