Black Forest Cake
Posted September 17, 2010on:
My first successful trial baking a pastry cake. I guess it was really easy, the only tough part was whipping the cream as I dint have an electric mixer. It took me and hour or so to do the whipping. Seeing my effort, Ram bought me an electric mixer🙂 .
I have started using the cake recipe for my pastry cakes from the zebra cake recipe
For the chocolate cake
Powdered Sugar -1 cup
Eggs – 2 nos
All purpose flour/ maida – 1 cup
Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
Cocoa powder – 2 teaspoon
Vanilla essence – 2 teaspoon
Milk – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup
– In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar till smooth using a wire whisk
– add vanilla essence, milk and oil to the sugar-egg mixture
– In a separate bowl, sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
– then transfer the flour mixture to the bowl containing sugar-egg mixture, one spoon at a time and fold in
– check for consistency and add more flour if required
– This picture is taken from the original Zebra cake recipe link to get an idea of the consistency of the cake mix
– I baked the cake in 2 parts.
– grease the microwave dish and pour 1/2 the cake mix
– baking time would be around 6-7 min for each trip, not on very high power.
– once cake is risen and looks dry, then try inserting toothpick to see it its done.
– Like I have mentioned in my earlier microwave oat bran cake, if overdone it might become like biscuit..so stay put near the microwave till the cake is done..
– let it cool .. 15 min..then run knife through the edges and lift a little using spoon.
– place aluminum foil on a plate and invert microwave dish on to it..
– then let it cool further.
– It doesn’t luk as beautiful as a sponge cake baked in oven but does taste wonderful and its soft
For the Icing
Whipped cream – 240 ml small pack (2 small packs if u have an icing bag and want to do some decoration on top of the cake)
Icing sugar – 3 tablespoon
– once u start ur baking, place a steel vessel in freezer for whipping
– take a tray of ice in plastic bowl(the bowl shld be big enough to contain the steel vessel)
– pour the whipped cream into the steel vessel and place the steel vessel into the plastic bowl.
– start whipping. if manually using a whisk, you should whip in a zig-zag manner rather than circles. this helps whipping.
– once it stiffens, add sugar and whisk further till u get really stiff peaks. Check for sweetness and then add more sugar if required
water – 1/2 cup
sugar – 1/2 cup
vanilla essence – 2tsp
– mix all the ingredients well
– actual recipes call for boiling the water with sugar syrup. hehhe .. I like things done faster and quick. so I skipped boiling the sugar syrup. The cake did taste wonderful
For the pastry cake
cherries / mixed fruit jam (Ram and I hate cherries, so I opted for using jam ;-))
cooking chocolate/ ready made chocolate chips
– if the cakes are not in regular shape, place one on top of the other and cut the edges so as to get a uniform shape
– now take one portion of the cake and using a spoon pour the sugar syrup on top of it.
– then using a knife spread the icing on top of the cake
– place cherries or jam on top of the icing
– now place the next piece of cake on top of the first one.
– once again pour the sugar syrup
– now spread the icing on top of the cake and on the sides.
– it doesnt matter if it isnt a neat spread or cake crumbles appear on the icing because we r going to put chocolate chips on the cake
– now sprinkle chocolate chips / grated cooking chocolate on top and sides of the cake.
– once again decorate with cherries/ jam
– if u have an icing bag and more icing u can decorate the top of the cake.
– place it in refrigerator for sometime and then serve
I bought a small pack of whipped cream, as this was my first trail, so didnt have much for decorting the cake. the second time I baked a pastry cake was for our anniversary, I bought a very big pack of whipped cream. I actually overdid my icing🙂