Posted August 19, 2009on:
I love all Bengali sweets!! Most of them are made of paneer(cottage cheese). But I make a few Bengali sweets with other ingredients to replace paneer😉
This recipe I learned from my cousin Naomi. Its simple!!
milk powder – 1 cup
egg – 1
baking powder – 1/2 tsp
milk – 4 cups
sugar – 8-12 tbsp
saffron – 8-10 strands
yellow color – 1/2 tsp
– boil milk with saffron and yellow food color added
– beat the egg well (put it in mixie/blender for 2 sec, will also do)
– add the milk powder and baking powder to it
– mix well to make a dough, not very sticky. add more milk powder if required
– make small flat balls (make sure the surface looks similar to the pic below..not very sticky)
– carefully place the balls into boiling milk
– close and let it simmer for 2 mins
– the balls will become large
– turn off flame and keep aside for cooling.
– keep it in fridge and have it chilled.
– garnish with finely chopped pistachios (I didnt have pistachios so I skipped it :-))