This time my baking wasnt a success. I replaced eggs with Flax seed, the cake wasnt very moist like the previous ones I had baked and it didnt taste all that gud either..
Sorry Ram maybe we can have a better cake for Veda’s birthday 🙂
The taste of banana dosa /പഴം മൈദ ദോശ, reminds me of banana fritters / പഴം പൊരി / ഏത്തക്ക അപ്പം. I prepare dosas with apple, plum, pear etc. Its easy to cook and can be had plain or with any curry or chutney.
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Brown sugar – 3 tblsp
Coconut scraped- 2 tblsp
Banana – 2 smashed
Water – 3/4 cup approx
Vanilla essence – 1tsp
Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt – a pinch
- mix all ingredients well
- if very thick add a little more water
- heat a non stick pan and pour batter and spread out in circles
- apply ghee. If skipping on ghee, make sure u sprinkle water on the pan, before pouring batter, else it tends to stick to pan.
- cook on both sides
- serve hot with chutney, curry or serve with coconut and sugar.
While I was in Dubai, ‘KFC’ and butter-chicken from ‘Sind Punjab restaurant’ used to be my fav. My mom had tried many recipes for Butter chicken but nothing tasted close to that from ‘Sind Punjab’.
One day, one of my seniors, from school in NIMS mentioned, they had prepared butter chicken for their home-science class. So I noted down the recipe from her and gave it to my mom. The outcome was a success, I think Lucy Mam was their home-science teacher, so thanks to her we have reduced our visits to ‘Sind-Punjab’ restaurant 🙂
Its a very easy recipe. Also I have prepared it several times, replacing chicken pieces with either potatoes , cauliflower or Paneer(cottage cheese). Here in Mauritius we get veg roasted chicken, veg fish, veg meat, veg prawns and what not :-), its all soya or wheat based products. So I get to eat veg butter chicken here 🙂
For chicken roast
Chicken breast pieces – 10 small pieces
Curd – 2 tablespoon
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Orange red food color – a pinch/ 1/4 tsp
salt as per taste
– Marinate using curd, ginger garlic paste, pepper, orange red food color and salt
– keep it for minimum 1/2 an hour
– You can bake the marinated chicken in oven for 15 min or fry it in pan. I use a non-stick pan and very less oil
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized
Green chilly – 3 nos
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Cooking cream – 1 cup
orange red food color – a pinch
– make a paste of tomatoes, green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
– then cook it in a saucepan, let it boil for 5 min
– add chicken pieces and let it cook further 5 min
– add cooking cream, and food color
– add a little water if gravy is too thick and boil for 2 min
– add butter while serving
– I prefer butter chicken with Nan or bread. It doesnt go well with chapathi or rice
My first successful trial baking a pastry cake. I guess it was really easy, the only tough part was whipping the cream as I dint have an electric mixer. It took me and hour or so to do the whipping. Seeing my effort, Ram bought me an electric mixer 🙂 .
I have started using the cake recipe for my pastry cakes from the zebra cake recipe
For the chocolate cake
Powdered Sugar -1 cup
Eggs – 2 nos
All purpose flour/ maida – 1 cup
Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
Cocoa powder – 2 teaspoon
Vanilla essence – 2 teaspoon
Milk – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup
– In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar till smooth using a wire whisk
– add vanilla essence, milk and oil to the sugar-egg mixture
– In a separate bowl, sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
– then transfer the flour mixture to the bowl containing sugar-egg mixture, one spoon at a time and fold in
– check for consistency and add more flour if required
– This picture is taken from the original Zebra cake recipe link to get an idea of the consistency of the cake mix
– I baked the cake in 2 parts.
– grease the microwave dish and pour 1/2 the cake mix
– baking time would be around 6-7 min for each trip, not on very high power.
– once cake is risen and looks dry, then try inserting toothpick to see it its done.
– Like I have mentioned in my earlier microwave oat bran cake, if overdone it might become like biscuit..so stay put near the microwave till the cake is done..
– let it cool .. 15 min..then run knife through the edges and lift a little using spoon.
– place aluminum foil on a plate and invert microwave dish on to it..
– then let it cool further.
– It doesn’t luk as beautiful as a sponge cake baked in oven but does taste wonderful and its soft
For the Icing
Whipped cream – 240 ml small pack (2 small packs if u have an icing bag and want to do some decoration on top of the cake)
Icing sugar – 3 tablespoon
– once u start ur baking, place a steel vessel in freezer for whipping
– take a tray of ice in plastic bowl(the bowl shld be big enough to contain the steel vessel)
– pour the whipped cream into the steel vessel and place the steel vessel into the plastic bowl.
– start whipping. if manually using a whisk, you should whip in a zig-zag manner rather than circles. this helps whipping.
– once it stiffens, add sugar and whisk further till u get really stiff peaks. Check for sweetness and then add more sugar if required
water – 1/2 cup
sugar – 1/2 cup
vanilla essence – 2tsp
– mix all the ingredients well
– actual recipes call for boiling the water with sugar syrup. hehhe .. I like things done faster and quick. so I skipped boiling the sugar syrup. The cake did taste wonderful
For the pastry cake
cherries / mixed fruit jam (Ram and I hate cherries, so I opted for using jam ;-))
cooking chocolate/ ready made chocolate chips
– if the cakes are not in regular shape, place one on top of the other and cut the edges so as to get a uniform shape
– now take one portion of the cake and using a spoon pour the sugar syrup on top of it.
– then using a knife spread the icing on top of the cake
– place cherries or jam on top of the icing
– now place the next piece of cake on top of the first one.
– once again pour the sugar syrup
– now spread the icing on top of the cake and on the sides.
– it doesnt matter if it isnt a neat spread or cake crumbles appear on the icing because we r going to put chocolate chips on the cake
– now sprinkle chocolate chips / grated cooking chocolate on top and sides of the cake.
– once again decorate with cherries/ jam
– if u have an icing bag and more icing u can decorate the top of the cake.
– place it in refrigerator for sometime and then serve
I bought a small pack of whipped cream, as this was my first trail, so didnt have much for decorting the cake. the second time I baked a pastry cake was for our anniversary, I bought a very big pack of whipped cream. I actually overdid my icing 🙂
Thanks a ton to Madhuram’s eggless cooking
Wonderful cake ideas.. we have started devouirng vegan cake now 🙂
I have tried many recipes of her with a twist though. Having all the required ingredients at a time has always been a problem for me. I dont cook preplanned, it has always been on the fly. So I do mix and match of her recipes.
Oat bran cake one of my favorites, its healthy and I dont feel guilty eating cakes anymore 🙂
All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
Oat Bran – 1 cup
Baking Soda – 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder – 1 and 1/4 teaspoon
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Brown Sugar(light brown) – 1 cup
Carrot – 1 medium size grated
Apple – 2 medium size grated
Raisins – 1/2 cup
Coco powder – 3 tsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Yoghurt – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
– sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda.
– mix oat bran, sugar and cocoa powder with it. (I use wooden spatula for mixing purpose)
– add milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract and fold in.
– make sure all the ingredients have mixed well.
– then add grated carrots, apples and raisins and fold in.
– now grease a microwave dish, use butter or oil
– pour the mixtureto 1/4 level of the dish height
– I sprinkled sliced almonds on top for garnish
– bake in microwave
– my dish was small, so I had to bake this in 2 parts. It took me 8-10 minutes on medium high for one batch.
– keep a watch on ur cake. Let it rise and then test it with toothpick. toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the centre
- I have noticed in Madurams recipes she replaces flour/maida with whole wheat flour/aata, wheat germ etc . I have tried all in this ratio :-
– whole wheat flour -3/4 cup and all purpose flour – 1/4 cup
– wheat germ – 1/3 cup and all purpose flour – 2/3 cup
- I used sunflower cooking oil.
- Fold in means, make a complete circle with the wooden spatula and then draw a line from 12’0′ clk to 6’0’clk. Dont have to mix too much as airpockets keep coming and ur cake may have lot of pores.
- The cake tends to be like biscuit if kept for long in microwave. so make sure u stay put near ur microwave till its done.
The story of the Syamanthaka Jewel / സ്യമന്തകമണി
There was a king Satrajit. He was a great devotee of Sun-God. Pleased with his prayers Sun God presented to him a divine jewel called Syamanthaka. The Syamanthaka jewel was so powerful that it was daily producing a large quantity of gold. Besides that, it is mentioned in Vedic literature that in whatever part of the world this jewel is worshiped there is no possibility of famine or of anything inauspicious.
When this jewel was worn by Satrajit in a locket around his neck, he appeared like Sun-God. Putting on this jewel, he would enter the city of Dwaraka, and people would think that the Sun-God had come into the city to see Krishna. Krishna knew that Satrajit had come to Dwaraka to show his opulence in the form of the valuable jewel obtained from the Sun-God.
Krishna asked Satrajit to present the Syamanthaka jewel to King Ugrasena (Grandfather of Krishna), who was the ruling chief. But Satrajit, had become too materialistic and, instead of accepting the request of Krishna, thought it wiser to worship the jewel in order to get the 170 pounds of gold every day.
One day, Satrajit’s younger brother Prasena, took the jewel, put it on his neck and rode on horseback into the forest. In the forest, a big lion attacked him, killing both him and the horse on which he was riding, and took away the jewel to his cave. The news was received by the gorilla king, Jambavan, who then killed that lion in the cave and took away the jewel. Jambavan gave it to his young son to play with as a toy.
In the city, when Prasena did not return from the forest with the jewel, Satrajit became very upset. He did not know that his brother had been killed by a lion and that the lion had been killed by Jambavan. He thought instead that because Krishna wanted that jewel and it had not been delivered to Him, Krishna might have therefore taken the jewel away from Prasena by force and killed him. This grew into a rumor which was being spread by Satrajit in every part of Dwaraka.
The false rumor that Krishna had killed Prasena and had taken away the jewel was spread everywhere like wildfire. Krishna did not like to be defamed in that way, and therefore He decided that He would go to the forest and find the Syamanthaka jewel. Along with important men of Dwaraka, Krishna went to search out Prasena and He found him dead, killed by the lion. At the same time, Krishna also found the lion which had been killed by Jambavan. He then found in the forest a great tunnel, said to be the path to Jamabavan’s house. Krishna knew that the inhabitants of Dwaraka would be afraid to enter the tunnel; therefore He asked them to remain outside, and He Himself entered the dark tunnel alone to find Jambavan. After entering the tunnel, Krishna saw that the very valuable jewel known as Syamanthaka had been given to the son of Jambavan as a toy, and in order to take the jewel from the child, He went there and stood before him. When the nurse who was taking care of Jambavan’s child saw Krishna standing before her, she was afraid, thinking the valuable Syamanthaka jewel might be taken away by Him. She began to cry loudly out of fear.
Hearing the nurse crying, Jambavan appeared on the scene in a very angry mood. Jambavan was actually a great devotee of Lord Krishna, but because he was in an angry mood he could not recognize Krishna; he thought Him to be an ordinary man. Krisnha engaged Jambavan in a duel.
After some time Jambavan learnt that he was fighting with Lord Krishna for whom he had great respect, and reverence. He at once apologised for his unseemly behaviour. Krishna informed Jambavan that He had come to him to ask for the Syamanthaka jewel because since the Syamanthaka jewel had been stolen His name had been defamed. Jambavan understood the whole situation, and to satisfy the Lord he not only immediately delivered the Syamanthaka jewel, but he also brought his daughter Jambavati, and sought Krishna’s consent for marrying his daughter. Krishna happily accepted teh jewel and Jambavathi as his wife.
Although the fighting between Krishna and Jambavan went on for twenty-eight days, the inhabitants of Dwaraka waited outside the tunnel only for twelve days, and after that they decided that something undesirable must have happened and they had returned home.
All the members of the family, friends, relatives and residents of the palace, became very sorry when the citizens returned home without Krishna. Because of their natural affection for Krishna, they began to call Satrajit ill names, for he was the cause of Krishna’s disappearance.
But when they saw that Krishna had actually returned, not alone but with a new wife, Jambavati, they immediately performed another celebration ceremony.
King Ugrasena then called for a meeting of all important kings and chiefs. He also invited Satrajit, and Krishna explained before the whole assembly the incident of the recovery of the jewel from Jambavan. Satrajit was aware that he had offended Krishna and he sincerely wanted to rectify it.
Satrajit decided to hand over to Krishna both the jewel and his beautiful daughter, Satyabhama.
Lord Krishna, being pleased upon Satrajit, informed him that He did not have any need of the Syamanthaka jewel. Because of the jewel’s presence in the city of Dvaraka, there will be no more famine or disturbances created by pestilence or excessive heat and cold.
Read in English : Cantos 10- chapter 56 of Srimad Bhagavatham
Read in malayalam (pdf) : “സ്യമന്തകമണി “